Sunday, November 21, 2010

Wizards Project

Watching "Lie to me" Season 1 currently.
Complete "Love Shuffle" today. Both were awesome dramas. :}

I got very interested in micro-expressions which are being mentioned in "lie to me" and "读心神探". Thus I did some understanding about the term and found a project called "Wizards Project"

According to Wikipedia, the project tested 20,000 people across all sorts of occupations and they are searching for "Truth Wizards". Truth Wizards means people who can identify whether the another person is telling a lie. The wizards are therefore identified as "Born with it".

Quoted from Wikipedia, "The term "wizard" refers to "a person of amazing skill or accomplishment"", "have found 50 who have this really nearly perfect ability to spot liars, and that's without any specialized training", "Our wizards are extraordinarily attuned to detecting the nuances of facial expressions, body language and ways of talking and thinking. Some of them can observe a videotape for a few seconds and amazingly they can describe eight details about the person on the tape.".

"No Truth Wizard, however, is 100% accurate."
"Scientists are currently studying Truth Wizards to identify new ways to spot a liar."
"We're still trying to find out how in the world did they learn this skill? Are they the sort of Mozarts of lie detection; they just had it?"

Well from MY perspective, I think they are "trained" through the environment they were in. As the research shows that the 50 wizards identify were across different occupations/age, it would have meant they were either born with it or the environment they went through made them develop this ability. I believe they have a sense of curiosity in observing people and they didn't even know it. And as they seen many different type of expressions in human, sparked by emotions, they would have sense something is not right when someone is lying and therefore, able to identify a liar. Sometimes we call that "Women's instinct". I am playing a wild guess that instincts are connected to women and not men because they were not as observant and detailed.

Well thats just my wild guess. :} After all, Mozart had a father who is a composer, conductor, teacher and violinist. And he was amazed by his sister playing the piano. Environment has great effect on a kid. It shape them into what they are in the future.

Because am pretty sure I developed a kinda skill/technique/ability in my environment as I grew up. Though I myself wasn't sure what it is, but I believe everyone in this world have 1 secret ability/technique/skill gained through the environment they were in.

No comments: